Ministry Executive Council
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Regular/Temporary: TemporaryClosing Date March 9, 2020
About the Organization
The Government of Alberta is committed to a diverse and inclusive public service that reflects the population we serve to best meet the needs of Albertans. Consider joining a team where diversity, inclusion and innovation are valued and supported. For more information on diversity and inclusion, please visit: https://www.alberta.ca/diversity-inclusion-policy.aspx
The Government of Alberta offers diverse and rewarding career opportunities for everyone – from individuals beginning their careers to those with lots of experience. Summer employment provides students with the opportunity to learn about our organization, develop workplace skills, and gain career-related experience. For more information about the Government of Alberta, please visit our website at http://www.alberta.ca.
About the Position
The Alberta Student Ministerial Internship Program provides meaningful engagement and learning designed to increase an intern’s knowledge and insight of the role Cabinet Ministers undertake to lead the Government of Alberta.
You will have the opportunity to learn how your provincial government works and gain an understanding of public policy development activities through on-the-job training and by interacting with staff from many different areas of government.
In this four-month summer internship position, you will work with Minister’s office staff to support the Minister with his/her daily activities. You will use your strong interpersonal, research, verbal and written communication skills, as you attend events, and assist with briefings, communications, and scheduling. Your problem solving skills will be put to the test as you research, suggest options and think through issues when responding to action requests and working on special projects.
The successful candidates will also have the following competencies:
- Drive for Results: – Strong communications skills, both written and verbal – Ability to generate meaningful content for social media platforms would be beneficial
- Building Collaborative Environments: – Ability to work collaboratively with team members and interact effectively with external stakeholders
- Agility: – Ability to anticipate, assess, and readily adapt to changing priorities, maintain resilience in times of uncertainty and effectively work in a changing environment
- Qualifications You are a post-secondary student who has completed at least two year of a program.
- Equivalencies will be considered. (i.e., First year of schooling completed plus one year of work/coop/volunteer experience).
- A demonstrated interest in government or political processes through related work, co-op or volunteer experiences would be an asset.
Competencies Competencies are behaviours that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans. We encourage you to have an in depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process. The link below will assist you with understanding competencies: http://psc.alberta.ca/APSCompetencies
Salary $22.76 per hour (plus 11.2% holiday pay)
- Please indicate which location(s) you are applying for in your application. The majority of positions will be located in Edmonton. There will also be positions in Calgary.
- These are four-month internships that start on May 4, 2020 and end on August 28, 2020.
- Final candidates will be asked to undergo a security screening.
How to Apply Along with your resume, applicants are required to submit a 500-word response to each of the following questions:
- Why do you want to participate in theAlberta Student Ministerial Internship Program? Please highlight any relevant work/co-op/volunteer experiences that would help you be successful in this role.
- What areas of government are you most interested in? What are examples of policies or programs within that area that are of interest to you?
- What are your thoughts on the government’s most recent budget?
Your responses will be evaluated on relevancy, examples provided, as well as formatting and spelling/grammar.
Your application will not be considered without the responses.
To apply online, users will be required to have an online account: https://www.alberta.ca/navigating-online-jobs-application.aspx
As only one file can be uploaded, please ensure your cover letter, resume and any other related documents are submitted in one file using the following suggested naming convention: Lastname,Firstname_JobID.
Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements.
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) https://www.alberta.ca/iqas-overview.aspx It is recommended that applicants include the assessment certificate from IQAS or any other educational assessment service as part of their application.
Tips for Applicants: https://www.alberta.ca/alberta-public-service-hiring-process.aspx
Closing Statement This competition may be used to fill future vacancies, across the Government of Alberta, at the same or lower classification level.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates’ qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only the most suitable individuals will be selected for interviews.
If you require any further information on this job posting, please contact Azeezat Olofa at 403.355.4740. If this competition is closed as per the closing date noted above, please continue to check http://www.jobs.alberta.ca for a listing of current career opportunities with the Government of Alberta.