Come Work With Us!
Our campus is always evolving at the Alberta University of the Arts, and here you’ll find yourself
surrounded by the connoisseurs of Calgary’s contemporary culture. At the AUArts Students’ Association
you’ll be working with a group of innovative, quirky, passionate, and hard-working creatives committed to providing AUArts’ student body with unique opportunities to enhance their sense of well-being, develop their professional skills, and establish a strong presence in the culture of the institution. Together, we continuously find ways to build on the strengths of our programs, boost our support services, and advocate for an exceptional student experience.
Be on the pulse of Calgary’s creative community and work with Alberta’s up and coming cultural innovators!
The AUArts SA Art Technician is responsible for ensuring that all aspects of inventory management, handling, installation, and the display of artwork is carried out in an efficient and professional manner to support the operations of AUArts SA programming.
Facilities & Operations
- Assist in the planning, set-up, installation, tear-down and clean-up of Show + Sale
- Maintain project workspaces including LRT, Cage, Outdoor container and Storefront storage spaces
- Support inventory management during drop off and pick up periods
- Prepare and maintain exhibition spaces, including moving plinths and walls, spackling and painting
- Perform work to various degrees of specialization in the areas of art handling and movement, mount making, using adhesives and fasteners, and installing two and three dimensional work
- Support Department Representatives and student volunteers in the installation of work using safe and secure handling procedures and security techniques
- Assist in the installation of digital media and multimedia and electronics, if necessary
- Help maintain tools, equipment, shop spaces, and art storage
- Assist in exhibition space lighting design as needed
- Maintain effective contact with AUArts students, faculty, administration and the general public
- Provide regular updates to the Show + Sale Coordinator, Show + Sale Assistant and Program Manager
Who You Are…
Here at AUArts SA we’ve worked hard to develop a culture we are proud to be a part of, and if you can say yes to a few of these things you might be proud to be a part of it too…
Equity & Diversity – Are you willing to consciously create room for respectful dialogue surrounding issues of equity and diversity? Pursuing a creative life takes guts! We’ve got a diverse, spunky, progressive, and outspoken community here at AUArts, and we are always looking for ways to self-reflect and incorporate socially just practices in our workplace.
Collaboration & Empowerment – Do you believe in bringing other people up, supporting your co-workers’ success, and finding ways to work together to accomplish your goals? From start to finish we are constantly learning from each other and finding ways to practice gratitude and celebrate the victories, both big and small.
Inspiration & Innovation – Are you excited to put your ideas on the table, take the risk and try something new even if you might fail? We love a good brainstorming session, and are always open to incorporating fresh ideas into our programs and services.
- A mature attitude and ability to work independently and be a responsive member of the AUArts SA team
- Organized and detail oriented
- Excellent time management skills
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work for an extended periods of time at times handling heavy objects and completing repetitive tasks such as painting/sanding/patching walls
- Experience with volunteer coordination and/or management/supervisory roles an asset
- Working knowledge of artistic and creative production, materials, handling and display of artwork
- Experience working in a gallery setting in a technician/support role considered an asset
- Must be available for the duration of the full duration of the sale including evenings and weekends
- AUArts SA accepts all applications however preference will be given to applicants who are students or alumni of AUArts
This is a contract position with a full-time schedule of approximately 100-125 hours from November 15 – 30, 2019 and March 15 – 31, 2020 with an hourly rate of $16.50 per hour. This position may require overtime to accommodate for the tight schedule of setting-up and removing Show + Sale inventory.
If we’ve caught your eye and you’d like to apply for this position please send a resume and cover letter that helps us get to know you better, please also ensure you specify which job you’re applying for and why you think you’d be a good fit for our team.
Applications can be sent to:
Show + Sale Coordinator
Application deadline is Thursday, November 7, 2019 at midnight.
The AUArts Students’ Association is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity. We thank all candidates for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.