My name is Rickee-Lee and I am your new President. What does that even mean??? Essentially, I aid in ORGANIZING the Student Leaderships goals– COMMUNICATING them to both the Executive Committee and the Students Association, being a Student ADVOCATE in both the Board of Governors’ meetings and with the President and CEO Dr. Daniel Doz.
I am very interested in how I can engage, support, and establish connections with all of you!!! Please feel free to introduce yourself. I’m the long-haired redhead with a smile spread across her face, possibly holding the door open for you. Outside of class I can be found in the AUArtsSA office on Tuesdays and Wednesdays 9am – 2pm. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, thoughts, or ideas. I look forward to meeting you😊
Below are the AUArts SA upcoming events, some helpful tips for midterms, and deadlines to keep in mind.
We are quickly approaching midterm season here at AUArts. This can be a stressful time as you settle into the swing of classes, deadlines, and your workload. Midterms are an opportunity to advocate for yourself, and for you to work WITH your instructors to help you get the most out of each class.
By midterms you will receive a written reflection of your current grade from your instructor. Now is the time to discuss your grade and class with your instructor, especially if this grade is not what you were expecting. Expectations should be made very clear between both you and your instructor. If you are left with concerns of meeting these expectations, please continue COMMUNICATION. Instructors are there to encourage and motivate us to achieve more then maybe we thought was possible, be willing to DO THE WORK, and then check back with the instructor with your progress and what kind of work you have put in. TRUST that your instructor will be happy for you to take this initiative. They want you to succeed! It means you have both succeeded.
- Midterm grade deadline – November 1st.
- The last day to withdraw without a grade penalty is November 8th.
- For more information see AUArts Policies and Procedures.
I hope this information is helpful and reduces the stress of waiting for grades. I would also like to take this opportunity to encourage students to use Spring classes as a tool to lighten their academic load during the Fall and Winter semesters, to assist with life balance and to spend more time in the studios.
If you are experiencing stress or academic difficulties, there are resources to help you:
- Meet with an Academic Advisor to discuss your options
- Academic Support and Learning Assistance
- On Campus Counselling Services
- AUArts SA Health + Dental Plan members have access to Empower Me, a mental health and wellness service that offers confidential and accessible support in multiple languages. Call 1 844 741-6389 to connect with trained counsellors, consultants, and life coaches 24/7, 365 days/year for a variety of issues. There is also an app available! For more information click here.
MARION NICOLL GALLERY
- The MNG Main Space Presents: Duppy Dupplicity, by Simone Saunders
- Exhibition Runs: Sept 30 – Oct 18
- Join us Thursday, October 17 for the closing reception from 6pm – 8pm in the Main Mall at the AUArts. A bar will be onsite!
STUDENT GROUP NIGHTS
- Friends! BAR! Popcorn! Movies! Performances! Open Mics! And more!!!
- Every other Tuesday see what’s in store from 6:30pm-8:30pm!
- October 22 – QuickDraw Film Screening – Lecture Theatre
- November 5 – Cardboard Car + Pidgin Collective – Cafeteria
- November 19 – Cardboard Car + Monarch Drag Performances- Cafeteria
- December 3 – Monarch Drag Performances – Cafeteria
- December 17th– TBD
Stop by to snag some candy and learn more about your Students Association on Halloween. Bonus points if you’re in costume!
We want to hear from YOU!!!
This is an opportunity for YOU to voice your concerns and interests to AUArts SA so that we can work together to enhance your experience and work towards improving everyone’ at the Alberta University of the Arts. They will be held in the Stanford Perrot Lecture Theatre. Times are to be confirmed, but dates are as follows:
- Monday November 4th School of Visual Arts
- Tuesday November 5th School of Craft and Media
- Wednesday November 6thSchool of Communication Design
- Thursday November 7th , International Students
SHOW + SALE REGISTRATION & INFORMATION SESSION
Interested in participating? Registration for Show + Sale is a two-step process.
- Step 1: Students must register through the online form before midnight on October 17.
The form can be found here
- Step 2: Students who have not participated in a previous Show + Sale are required to attend a mandatory workshop designed to introduce them to the policies and procedures of Show + Sale. The workshop will be held in the Stanford Perrott Lecture Theatre on October 17 from 1-1:30pm, and attendance is taken. Please let us know before the event if you are unable to attend. This workshop will introduce students to the logistical side of Show + Sale, specifically the online inventory submission process. Topics include, how to finalize registration online, attaching sales tags to inventory, and successful price-points from previous sales.
- There will also be two optional (yet useful) workshops that will present best practices regarding Show + Sale (display of work, packaging work, etc). The dates are as follows:
- Tues Oct 29th, 1-2pm. School of Craft (J+M, Fibre, Glass, Ceramics, Sculpture)
- Wed Oct 30th, 1-2pm. School of Visual Arts (Drawing+Painting, VCD+Print, Photo)
More information available at www.auarts-sa.ca/show-sale/
MARION NICOLL GALLERY – CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
If you are interested in exhibiting in any of the two Marion Nicoll Gallery spaces in the 2019/20 academic year, now is your time to submit a proposal! All current AUArts students are eligible to submit, as well as recent AUArts/ACAD alumni who have graduated within the last three years. DEADLINE: November 1, 2019 at midnight! Please read through our submission guidelines carefully and complete the online submission form available on the Marion Nicoll Gallery website: marionnicollgallery.wordpress.com/submissions.
Contact email@example.com with any questions regarding the application process. Follow us on Instagram @marionnicollgallery.
HEAR/D RESIDENCY – CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Want to be a part of the AUArts SA Hear/d Residency Program? Now is your time to submit a proposal! This six-month residency will have its own central theme of resilience, relating to the journey of mental health issues currently experienced by many post-secondary students. Participants are invited to explore and share their journeys in a creative and innovative way. DEADLINE: October 17, 2019 at midnight! Apply online here.
More information about the program can be found on our website here. If you have questions about the residency or the application process, please email Rocio at firstname.lastname@example.org
NOW HIRING – S+S, BARTENDERS
The Show + Sale is hiring Cashiers and Department Reps.
Cashiers must have open availability during the Show + Sale. We are also short some department reps! Are you reliable and team-oriented? Become a department rep! (You don’t have to be participating in the S+S by the way…) We need department reps for:
- Ceramics (1 position)
- First Year/Undeclared (3 positions)
- Photography (1 position)
- VCD+Print (1 position)
- Print Media + VCD (1 position)
Attached is the job description for department representatives. To find more information and to apply for these positions, click here
The Bartender is responsible for providing bar service at AUArts community events. A flexible schedule and valid Proserve are a must. For more information please click here.
HEALTH + DENTAL PLAN COVERAGE
Have you checked out your coverage under the AUArts SA Health & Dental Plan? Among other features, the plan covers health, dental, vision, and travel benefits to help you perform at your best all year long. Additionally, if you missed the deadline to opt-out of the plan and now have double coverage, make sure to take advantage of it and submit any claims for the 2019/20 policy year against both plans! Visit www.studentcare.ca for more details.
HEALTH + DENTAL PLAN – LAST YEAR’S CLAIMS DEADLINE
Were you covered by the SA Health + Dental Plan last year? If so, this is a reminder that all AUArts SA Health & Dental claims from the 2018-19 policy year (Sept 1 2018 – Aug 31 2019) must be sent to our insurer by November 29, 2019. You can send your claims by mail using the Claims Form, or file claims online through the Studentcare mobile app. For more information, and to download the app, visit www.studentcare.ca
POSTERS AND POSTER BOARDS
AUArts SA has poster boards throughout the school available for postings. Anything posted by students or the general public must be approved and stamped by the Student Association. The boards are cleaned monthly and any unstamped or outdated material removed. The poster boards are the only place you may place posters—please do not place posters in stairwells, on doors, etc.
DON’T BE A STRANGER!
Stay up to date on what is happening at the Students’ Association, check out News and Events on our website www.auarts-sa.ca and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram – @AUARTS.SA.
You can find information about AUArts SA, our staff and committee members at https://www.auarts-sa.ca/about/.
Visit our office in person anytime between Tuesday – Thursday from 10am – 4pm. We are located in the main mall beside the Marion Nicoll Gallery!