Mexican Chicken Soup
Caldo de pollo
You can prepare using fresh raw chicken or if you have leftover cooked chicken meat you can use that instead.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time:40-50 minutes
- 1 whole chicken cut in pieces or 1.5 lbs of chicken meat diced (whatever kind of chicken meat you prefer or have)
- 1.5 cups of onion finely diced
- 2 cups of tomatoes diced
- 1/3 cup of cilantro diced
- 2 sprigs of cilantro for garnish
- 3 cloves of garlic finely dice (use less if not too fond of garlic)
- 2 cups of white rice cooked (use a rice cooker or you can cook it in the broth)
- 2 tsp of vegetable oil
- 1 tbls of chicken broth paste or 1 cube of chicken bullion
- Salt and pepper to taste
Garnish (optional): Cilantro , avocado cubes, lime juice, corn tortillas
- In a pot add 1.5-2 litres of water and put to boil. Add the raw chicken and chicken bullion until cooked (approximately 25-30 minutes). In the meantime, proceed to step 2.
- In a separate pan, add the vegetable oil and sautéed the onion and garlic. Once onion is translucent add the tomatoes and cilantro and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add this mixture to the boiling pot with that contains the chicken and stir gently. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let it simmer for another 5 minutes and add the cooked rice. Serve and garnish with cilantro, avocado and the juice of 1/2 lime. You can eat this with warm tortillas.