Sweet Potato, Zucchini, Cucumber Salad
Did you know that sweet potatoes have unique health benefits? “They are loaded with vitamins A, C and E – antioxidants that can help prevent heart disease and cancer, bolster the immune system and even slow aging by promoting good vision and healthy skin. They have been recently reclassified as an “antidiabetic” food. They are anti-inflammatory and can protect against emphysema.” Read more about them at sweetpotatoes.com
Prep time:10 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (cooled)
- 1 cup of zucchini raw and spiraled ( best to buy Zucchini already cut in spaghetti spirals)
- 1 cup of sweet potatoes raw and spiraled ( best to buy sweet potatoes already cut in spaghetti spirals)
- 1/2 cucumber raw and cut in ribbons (use the potato peeler to do that)
- 1 blood orange juice or use any type of orange.
- 1 Serrano chili finely diced
- 1 tbls of Chimichurri sauce (you can use store bought or make your own)
- 1 1/2 cup of kale diced in 1/2 inch strips
- 3 tbls cilantro for garnish
Chimichurri sauce (homemade) Ingredients
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1 cup of parsley
- 1/4 cup of rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 onion (or use a small white onion)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lemon (the juice of one lemon)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Place the chimichurri ingredients in the blender or food processor and process for 15 seconds. Reserve or put aside.
- In a medium pan at medium heat add 1tsp of olive oil. Toss sweet potatoes, zucchini, kale, and quinoa and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add chimichurri sauce, toss to coat, and immediately retire from heat. Add this mixture to a salad bowl. Incorporate the cucumber raw, the serrano chilies and the juice of the blood orange. Coat the salad evenly and serve. Garnish with cilantro.