Mexican Cowboy Bean Soup
( Frijoles Charros Soup )
Crunch time at school, this soup will feed you for many days while giving you protein, iron, fibre and yum yum. Plus it’s cheap as borsch.
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Cook time: 2 hours
- 2 Litre of chicken or vegetable stock.
- 1 Lbs of black beans or any beans like pinto or mug beans.
- 2 cloves of garlic finely diced.
- 1 Tsp Epazote powder or leaves ( you can skip this herb if you cant find it, they sell it at places like Tres Marias Market).
- 2 Tsp of Mexican Oregano ( It has a more punchy taste but other oregano will do. Get it at las Tres Marias).
- 1 Tsp of ground cumin.
- 1 Serrano pepper diced ( optional if you like spice)
- 4-5 mild Italian sausages ( you can commit this if you want the vegetarian version)
- 5-6 Slices of Bacon ( you can commit this if you want the vegetarian version)
- 1 small can of tomato paste ( 150 ml)
- Salt to taste
- Fry Bacon slices and sausages. Set aside and diced them in fine cubes. Reserve
- In a crock pot ( or a stove top pot) add the stock the beans and all the rest of ingredients. Add the fried bacon and sausages. Let it cook for 2-4 hours in crock pot ( or for more if you want) or 1.5 hours in the stove at medium heat. Remove from heat. if the soup it is too thick add more liquid.
Tips and notes:
This soup it is so easy to make and can be frozen. You can put in the fridge to eat for the days ahead before you finish the semester.