Cheddar Cheese Risotto
by Rocio Graham
“This is so easy and so comforting for a day when you just want to lay in bed and feel cozy. You can easily add a salad to make it a more balanced meal.”
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15-18 minutes
- 1 Leek finely diced ( you can use 1 shallot instead).
- 1 Tsp coconut oil or butter
- 2 Cups of risotto rice you can also do 1 1/2 cups of rice and 1/2 cup of quinoa.
- 1/2 Cup of white wine.
- 1/2 Tsp of dijon mustard.
- 4 Cups of chicken broth or vegetable stock.
- 2 Cups of shredded cheddar cheese ( you can also do 1 cup of you want it a bit lighter).
- 2 Tbs chopped chives or you can use the green part of spring onions.
- 1 Cup of mushrooms diced ( optional) or you can use 1/2 cup of peas for an added vegetable factor.
- Melt butter or coconut oil in a medium sized pan and cook the leek until a bit translucent ( 2-3 minutes).
- Add the rice ( and quinoa if used) and keep stirring for 2-3 minutes, turn the heat up a bit and add the wine and mustard, stir until wine is absorbed by the rice.
- Start adding the hot stock 1/2 a cup at the time. Every time the hot stock get absorbed you add another 1/2 cup of stock.
- Stir and ladle until the rice is al dente for about 10-15 minutes. If the rice it is too dry and does not feel cooked add another 1/2 cup of hot water or stock. Try the rice and the rice has to be fully cooked, soft and smooth. Add the mushrooms and stir for 2 minutes. Then add the cheese and stir until it melts.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with the chopped chives or spring onions.